(worth 20 points)
- Browse through our course website. Pay particular attention to the syllabus, rights and powers, cover letters, and evaluation criteria pages.
- “What’s the Difference between Social Media and Social Business?” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alistair-rennie/ibm-whats-the-difference_b_2199192.html
- “4 Elements of a Successful Business Web Presence” http://mashable.com/2010/02/10/business-web-presence/
- “Social Business” http://www.muhammadyunus.org/index.php/social-business/social-business Note: if you can’t access this link because of ECU’s weird link policy, try this one: https://www.evernote.com/l/AaOcnR5sN7NMsJiFuTrhjWLkGcxuhbNpwt8
- “We Have the Right to Repair Everything We Own” http://ifixit.org/right
- Your beginning credentials for logging into the course website are:
- Username: Firstname
- Password: Firstname
- So, if I was logging into the course website, I would enter “Guiseppe” for both my username and password
- Use these credentials to log-in and make an introductory post on the course website:
- As soon as you log-in, hover over Howdy, [your name] in the upper righthand corner of the screen, then click on Edit Profile from the dropdown menu. Use the page that opens to assign a new password to yourself, one that is harder to track than just your first name (the default password I set for you).
- Also use this page to upload a picture of yourself so people will know who you are when you post on the course website.
- Now go to “New” with the little plus sign at the top of the screen and create a new post where you introduce yourself to us. You might want to answer questions like: Why did you originally sign up for this class? What are you excited about? What are you scared about? What kind of writer are you? What are your future career goals? What do you hope to learn through your participation in this class?
- Before you post your introduction, be sure to select the category “Student Announcements” on the right-hand side of the screen.
- For “Social Media and Social Business”: What is social business and how is it augmented by social media?
- For “Social Media and Social Business”: Looking at the findings from the infographic attached to this article, “What is the state of social technologies in your organization?”–compare one finding to how collaboration happens (or fails to) in an organization you currently work for or used to work for. Feel free to research any key terms you don’t understand from this infographic. Does your organization provide an infrastructure for engagement and if so what does that look like? Are there social technologies available for use, and if so, are the effective at fueling the organization’s mission? How up with social technologies are managers within your organization?
- For “4 Elements of a Successful Business Web Presence”: Why do you think these four elements of a web presence are essential for today’s businesses? What does each of them do for a business?
- For “Social Business”: what is the definition of this alternate meaning for social business? How does it compare to the definition involving social technologies? In general: what do you think about this new definition for business? Does it represent a sound business model? Why or why not?
- “Right to Repair”: How does iFixit’s mission to foster repair meet the definition of a social business advanced by Yunis? Why is repair important, according to iFixit, and what do you think about this mission? Should all consumers have the right to repair their own commodities? Why or why not?
- Post all your writing (including the link to your post on the course website) in one document to the Blackboard assignment for Homework #1 (Content>Assignments>Module #1 Assignments).
back to the Module 1 schedule page